Blog Archive

Friday, June 1, 2018

My Star Trek Generations mistake




Okay, I have to own myself as an ass on this one. I saw the last half hour of Star Trek Generations today and I realized that some of the stuff I'd complained about in my review of First Contact was addressed in this film. Things about the Enterprise E and Data's emotion chip. In debate over which was better I admitted that I'd only seen this one once over 20 years ago, but I'm amazed at how much of it I'd completely forgotten. I suppose I could blame the seizures for flashing some of it away, but 20+ years is a long time too. But I'm not going to correct my First Contact review because it would be shallow of me to pretend I didn't make a mistake, embarrassing as it was. And I still think First Contact moved a little fast with enough material to cover two movies.
That being said, I can't say which was better between Generations and First Contact. Seeing the end of this movie reminded me of how frustrating I found the concept of the temporal nexus and that I didn't like the way Kirk was killed off (... somehow not as glamorous or satisfying as Spock in WoK.) And I still have no memory of what happened in the rest of this one, so I'm still leaning towards First Contact, but I'd like to see Generations from the beginning again sometime to get a refreshed perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment