Blog Archive

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Book Review

Dragons of Spring Dawning
Just finished Spring Dawning and I'm pleased with the trilogy on the whole. It was creative and the main story was drawn to a definite conclusion. I prefer a cleaner ending personally, but then there wouldn't be as much room for continuing adventures. I wish there had been more follow up in certain areas like the Wilder Elves. I know the arrangements between them and the other elves were mentioned in passing but there was depth there that should've had more time devoted to it. Also, I understand leaving a thread or two out for sequels, but that citadel seemed like kind of a big thing to leave just looming out there. It seemed kind of weird that they were willing to surrender everything for one person anyway... it's just not tactically sound. But even if they couldn't get Laurana back to show off her abilities as Brendan was pointing out, they could've had Gilthanas and Silvara find a way to sabotage it so that those manning it would have to go back to the chaos being wrought at Neraka. Like I said. It should've been a cleaner ending. No real complaints though. I still don't like Tanis but I'm starting to suspect that it's by design of the authors. He wasn't like the other male characters. Kitiara was never fully unpacked... her story wasn't as detailed, leaving her a mystery. The clear breakout character in this is Raistlin, though. The Legends trilogy was recommended to me to be the next set to read and the springboard for it is at the end where Raistlin claims his fate. It whets the appetite for more. This trilogy was the start of a unique and worthwhile fantasy series.

No comments:

Post a Comment