Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Truth in Musicals

When I was writing about my favorite musicals and dance numbers I noticed that there were some very truthful numbers that have been made over the years. It's funny how you can put some hard truths into a catchy musical performance.  I realize that truth is subjective at times, but here are a couple that I think everyone can agree on.

Truth of Politicians
The truths are the most brilliant when they're "evergreen" that is, not leaning one way or the other. And all good humor has a kernel of truth to it. It's not just Charles Durning's behavior and answers that are amusingly accurate of how evasive and vapid politicians can be, but the spoken reactions of the reporters and bystanders are key to the overall effect as well. Lots of truth here.

Truth of Celebrity
Being raised on older musicals, I found Chicago to be a little dark for my taste. But I was blown away by this song and it's attached courtroom scene. I'm a little surprised that so much honesty was on display about how celebrities are capable of getting away with anything including murder. It's a very in-your-face confession of how fame can exempt you from real life. And the song is catchy. I also liked Mr. Cellophane from this movie. There's a lot of truth to that too, but it's in one of those personal areas of truth that may not garner consensus.

I wanted to have a bigger list before I made this post, but I couldn't find too many others that spoke truths to me that I acknowledge. Perhaps you can think of more.

No comments:

Post a Comment