Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

How I take my old shows

I've mentioned before that some may find it strange that I only watched the reruns of Star Trek TNG while writing my reviews. I can see why people would wonder why I don't just use Netflix or buy the DVDs.. I mean, who watches reruns anyway? Most people have gone with the streaming stuff rather than pay a satellite bill. So am I a snob or an old fuddy duddy? I don't know.


I'm not too much of a snob to buy DVDs. I have several series on DVD. The problem with buying a series on DVD is that I'm not the only person in the house and a large series like TNG costs well over a hundred bucks. So, the hubby and I have to agree on rather large purchases. I'm in a mixed marriage of sorts - I love Star Trek, my husband doesn't. So, obviously he's not on board with dropping that kind of money on things he doesn't like. Why don't I get them for myself? Well... who would I watch them with... the cat? I've always seen sitting down to watch something that's been paid for, movie or DVD, that's uninterrupted by commercials as a social activity no different from going to the movie theater. If I lived alone it would be a different story. My cousin told me that she used to get the stuff she liked (that her husband didn't) and watch it by herself in another room. I couldn't do that because to me it feels like time lost with my husband that I'll never get back So, I'm happy to sacrifice my desires and just stick with the things we both like together.

Perhaps I am a bit of and old fuddy duddy when it comes to Netflix or any streaming service. I realize that it's cheaper for people who can't afford DVDs or a cable bill, and I guess I'd like it better if it weren't for sketchy internet at times. But I prefer to own something if I like it. I love libraries, but I don't like taking books out and then giving them back. Netflix is kind of like that because the shows it runs are in a revolving door... they won't always be there. They'll be taken off and replaced with something else. And it seems like there's a general laziness to it. It's fun to joke about binge watching a 9 season series in two days, but for one thing that can't be healthy. And for another thing, I don't have that kind of stamina. When we watch stuff from our DVD collections, unless it's a very short season, we don't take in too many episodes at once. We're busy people and don't have all day, or all night except on a Saturday, to mess with it.

So, when I'm not watching DVDs with my husband of shows we both like, I take my shows in the form of rerun. I actually like my brain getting a break with the commercial interruptions. Because of them, I can multitask. It really feels like "just a rerun" and I'm not committed to  having social time with anyone, so if I need to do something else while it's on in the background, it's cool. And I can easily stop instead of carrying on like an addict. And I don't get too much at once. Anticipation and having to wait for more isn't a bad thing. It gives you something to look forward to like coming home after a long day, a weekend after a long week, or a get-together that only happens annually or biannually. It seems more satisfying than having all of what you want at one time. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd continue that thought from yesterday since I was talking about watching Quantum Leap reruns like an old fuddy duddy. Lol..

No comments:

Post a Comment