Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Book Review


Six Gothic Tales

A compilation of six Gothic romance novels condensed down for Reader's Digest. Given to me by a friend a long time ago. In order they are Jamaica Inn, Mission to Malaspiga, Mistress of Mellyn, The High Valley, Thunder Heights, and Tregaron's Daughter. Definitely not my kind of thing, but I kept it around because it was a gift. It turned out to be a convenient book to keep on my bedside table to read on on weekend nights because it's not something that interested me greatly, therefore it didn't have to be portable... moving from room to room, trying not to forget it when I go out to work or wherever; that sort of thing. To my surprise I've read through them all and I find it was a interesting stretch from my "comfort zone" as far as reading goes. They say you should read things you don't like as well as an exercise in variety. And they're not the worst things I've ever read; they even seemed worth the time spent on them over the last year or so that I've been looking them over. It's the same formula over and over. Yes, I'm well aware that sci-fi and fantasy incorporates the same formulas too... it's fascinating how that sort of thing doesn't bother us when it's employed by a genre we like as opposed to one we don't. The romances made no sense to me, of course. It makes me wonder if I'm "normal" as far as being a woman is concerned because a lot of women really go for the attractions presented in these stories. But at least they're not empty erotica. (I prefer my own fantasies to someone else's in that regard.) They make a corageous attempt at murder mysteries throughout as part of the formula. One of the stories even reminded me of a similar idea I had for a story years ago. However, they're not top shelf mysteries. Even when the action was good, the motivations of the killers were lame with the exception of the last story perhaps. That one wasn't half bad. I suppose it's good stuff for those who are interested in this genre. To that extent I recommend it. But I'm going to find something a little more to my taste put at my bedside table now.

No comments:

Post a Comment