Blog Archive

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Book Review


Sheepfarmer's Daughter, The Deed of Paksenarrion Book I by Elizabeth Moon

First of a trilogy. Sword and sorcery fantasy, but with a divergent take on the genre. The author was a Marine so she brings a different perspective to the typical fantasy formula. I like different. Paksenarrion is a sheepfarmer's daughter, for only a quarter of the first chapter, who decides to leave that life against her father's wishes to join an army like her cousin before her. It's a big plus for me that the heroine isn't "born fully formed" so to speak. She has to start at the bottom, learning how to fight and, although gifted with a lot of natural talent for the work, is nothing special at first. Just another grunt you might say. The author spends several long and I thought fascinating chapters covering Paksenarrion's training experience in a coed army. Large portions of it will hit home for military people and it's very unique since it's not something one ever thinks of when reading stories set in fantasy settings where men coexist with elves, dwarves, and magic users of all stripes. Which takes me to the setting itself which was bewildering to me at first. I didn't know what to think of it except as a kind of post-apocalyptic type of fantasy world where there isn't one or more noble kingdoms fighting a great evil with a chosen one(s) sent out to destroy the enemy and/or restore a balance of powers. No, in this world there are several military brigades that work as mercenaries contracted to fight other regiments for loot which funds a campaign and pays the soldiers. Most of them fight under and honorable leader with a specific code of conduct to be followed. But it's a look at battle that is more gritty and realistic than what is usually portrayed in a fantasy plot. Paks' outfit participates in a couple of standard contracts led by The Duke. The story culminates with several military factions banding together to stop a particularly dishonorable and malicious military leader who rules by fear, follows no code of conduct, and interferes with other campaigns for the sole purpose of domination and the pleasure of murder and torture. The focus is almost entirely on the humans. Magic is only seen on the fringes and elves and dwarves aren't even a significant part of  story.
At least not yet. It's very busy with names, places, cultures, and politicking as part of a very slow world building, (which is something I also appreciate.) The inexperienced reader would probably get frustrated and put it down, but I could see what was going on. The heroic formula still there, only introduced gradually and artfully. Several key situations, especially as the novel draws closer to the end, prove Paksenarrion to be special and a potential chosen one who will eventually answer to a higher calling to fight a more noble battle against a greater evil. There are hints of more magic to come and, I assume, an integration of the other races into this world. The biggest drawback for me is common to all war stories I read... I just have a hard time picturing terrain in my head and I frequently get lost while trying to follow the action. Of course, you can't get around that in stories with detailed battle scenes. But I never let it stop me when the story is good. I'm very interested in seeing what happens in the next installment and I'll seek it out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment