Blog Archive

Monday, August 27, 2018

Cover Art: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I was looking at an article that was about the cover art of "your" favorite books. Except the books listed either weren't my favorites or else I wasn't interested in them or hadn't even heard of them. So Iooked up the different covers from some of my favorite books and I was surprise at how many different covers some of them have had. It was hard to pick a favorite with so much art to choose from.
 Today I've got covers of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. There aren't many of them since the Potter novels aren't old enough to be reprinted dozens of times like the classics. The first one, as always, is the art on the copy I own and I personally don't think there could be a worse picture ever conceived. I've always hated this artwork and it's one of the reasons I shelved the book for so many months after I got it. I was intrigued to see that other covers had been made for the HP.




 It looks like they tried to redo the picture of Harry and Hermione riding the hippogriff but that one doesn't really work for me either. Then there are a pair depicting the end where Harry successfully produces his patronus. I think my favorite of these covers is the second patronus picture with the large stag and that Knight Bus picture is a very close second. Followed by the fortress prison of Azkaban... Much like Monte Cristo, I love the look of old castles.
My HP books are getting worn out too, so I'll need to replace them one day, but unlike my LOTR set, I'm actually torn - I'd like to have more appealing covers but my originalist leanings make me want to replace it with the original covers... the ones that I hate. Lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment