Blog Archive

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Book Review


This is an old one and I think there have even been movies made. But it's new to me. And it was an excellent choice. Oh my goodness, this book was downright terrifying at times, and I'm not inexperienced in the thriller genre. But, there's something about these old mysteries and the skill with which they were written that always outclasses the desensitizing horrors of newer authors.

A group of ten mostly unconnected people are lured to an island from which they can't escape and are killed off one by one in correspondence with a dark nursery rhyme which is altered and sanitized in this book to the title of "Ten Little Soldier Boys." (I'm sorry, but I take offense to the altering of original material just because it's been declared "offensive" and people aren't mature enough to study and value older literature [or film] within context of the time period in which it was created. It's the only beef I had with this book once I found out... had to roll my eyes a little, but it doesn't effect the story so it's not a big deal.) Anyway, they are invited guests to the house of a mysterious, rich owner who they never officially meet. They are placed in rooms with the poem to look at as well as figurines of soldier boys in a glass case which disappear one by one with each victim who is murdered in a manner that is similar to the lines of the poem. It's a tense and gripping story that builds into a nightmarish climax. It's not the sort of mystery in which the murderer is caught in the act or discovered by another character throughout the plot, but rather a mystery that leaves one hanging until explained from an outside perspective at the end. I did guess who the killer was fairly early on, however I can't claim victory because I then had more than ample reason to doubt that guess to the point where I was considering other options and finally just confused at the end. That's exactly the trap that Christie was laying for the reader and it worked brilliantly. Even the police at the end didn't have it completely right. The identity of the killer is danced around until the final chapter. It's more of an afterword really and it's the confession letter of the killer who details the plan to exact vigilante justice on those who were also guilty of murder but had circumvented the law. Since the perpetrator is said to have been dying anyway, the score is settled all around.

It really is a mini masterpiece as most classics are. That's why I love the "classic" genre so much. And I recommend it for those who like murder mysteries of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment