Blog Archive

Monday, July 30, 2018

Star Trek Insurrection


Star Trek Insurrection
I put off watching this one because it seemed like it would be the episode Journey's End made over. Not one of my favorite episodes and the promise of Data being compromised - again- seemed overdone. But I really liked this movie. Data was compromised a lot in the series, just not usually two episodes in a row which is probably why two movies in a row seemed excessive. But it was only a temporary thing to draw the crew onto a world in which the people are in danger of being unknowingly displaced for the sake of a larger society in need of the planet's benefits. It had the Federation under Anthony Zerbe's (I swear that man hasn't aged in 30 years!) supervision aiding in the deception which I thought was wrong but it served the purpose of making their political point. It has all the preachiness that a lot of people appreciate in Star Trek but it was also a lot deeper than that. I had a feeling there was an H. G. Wells quality about the two societies involved in the conflict and the ensuing plot twist made the movie like an elongated episode which is always the best type of Star Trek movie. I liked it better than First Contact. It had a smoother flow. And it made me sad that the actors have to (had to) get old and stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment