Blog Archive

Monday, July 23, 2018

Book Review

Sherlock Holmes His Last Bow
Now this was much more like it! The last set was good but the stories were a little too short. They'd just start getting interesting and then they were over. These are a better length and far more exciting. I was surprised to realize that Doyle recycled some of his material though. The opening segment of The Adventure of the Cardboard Box in which Holmes reads Watson's thoughts was used at the beginning of one of the stories from Memoirs. I just didn't expect that. Anyway, the works in this collection have a faster pace, more danger and intense moments, and more difficult puzzles for the great detective. We get a closer look at Mycroft's life as Sherlock solves a governmental mystery in The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans. The Adventure of the Dying Detective was the best one. I couldn't get that one out of my head for a couple of days. I haven't sat down and made a list of my favorite Holmes stories yet but this one would definitely be in the count. The title story His Last Bow takes place either just prior to or during WW1 with Holmes coming out of retirement to thwart German spies. That was a nice twist on it all. But it's not the end. I apparently have one more Doyle series to get to complete my Sherlock Holmes collection. I gave up trying to figure out what order they all ran in a long time ago. They're just the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment