Blog Archive

Thursday, January 12, 2017

The sequel was better.

I'm the type of person that usually likes the original movie rather than the sequel(s).  Not because I'm a snob, but because it's really hard to top a first go at a good movie, especially if it's not part of a broader story like the Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars in which case the movies all need to be taken together instead of separately. 

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules and I have several exceptions in mind.  The one I feature today is Superman II.

I don't say it lightly either.  Gene Hackman was amazing in the first one.  And in the second one; they bring him back to add personality to the movie.  Whether or not is could've been done without him in the second one is irrelevant. I'm glad he was in both of them.
I think what made the second one better was having villains with equal super powers for Superman to fight.  And the character of Zod is every bit as mesmerizing as Luthor.  It didn't have to waste time on character development, but jump straight into the action which sounds strange coming from me, but movies of the super hero genre should be more action intense without a lot of story to bog it down.  And it has one of the best endings ever.
So, this is on my list of better sequels.  Do you have  a list of your own?



No comments:

Post a Comment