Blog Archive

Monday, September 10, 2018

Cover Art: A Wrinkle In Time

I was looking at an article that was about the cover art of "your" favorite books. Except the books listed either weren't my favorites or else I wasn't interested in them or hadn't even heard of them. So Iooked up the different covers from some of my favorite books and I was surprise at how many different covers some of them have had. It was hard to pick a favorite with so much art to choose from.

 The last one I pick will be A Wrinkle In Time. The first one is the copy I have and I gotta say, it's my favorite. I also have the Time Quintet which begins with this one and they all have different but matching artwork as represented by the second picture. I don't care for this one as much. 




 The most popular item to place on the cover is Mrs. Whatsit in her winged centaur form, but the others that I have here aren't as attractive to me as that first one. It's not an easy thing to draw believably. Other classic covers feature the Happy Medium or just the children being transported through time and space. I like that one. I even like the new cover that was made in connection with the new movie (which I refuse to watch because it looks like they screwed it up like movies do with most books.) 




 But I was surprised that my alternate favorites were the last 5 or so. They have a kind of cheesy look to them, but they're compelling in a way that I've mentioned before - science fiction before the science caught up to the fiction. The old fashioned look goes really well with this story. It's a shame the sequels weren't as wonderful as this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment