Blog Archive

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Cover Art: Treasure Island

I was looking at an article that was about the cover art of "your" favorite books. Except the books listed either weren't my favorites or else I wasn't interested in them or hadn't even heard of them. So Iooked up the different covers from some of my favorite books and I was surprise at how many different covers some of them have had. It was hard to pick a favorite with so much art to choose from.

 Today, Treasure Island, the book that hooked me on reading. I only have a couple more of these cover projects to go. I was just too tired to post yesterday. There are a ton of creative covers for this book. None of which I have. I couldn't find my own cover in the plethora of artwork out there, but that's alright. Mine is kind of boring compared to these. It's a simple cover and in this rare case the simple covers aren't as appealing to me.




 The diversity of artwork for this story is very impressive. Of course, there's depictions of characters and scene from the story. Some a little dated looking but others are very nicely done like Hawkins on the coracle or the marooning of the last of the mutineers. These character depictions don't look cheesy or cartoonish, including Captain Flint the parrot. 




 There are flamboyant covers that look like movie posters and others that simply capture the theme with the pieces of eight, a treasure chest or the bones of a former crewman left as a marker to find the treasure. It's really hard to pick a favorite out of all the wonderful choices out there.I like these last three the best though.

No comments:

Post a Comment