Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

My Top Ten Favorite Books




My Top 10 Favorite Books.
I'm excluding from these picks entire series as a whole. I could almost make a separate list of favorite series and compilations beginning with the Bible (I count it as a compilation) and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, ditto Shakespeare to the Narnia, Space Trilogy, Harry Potter, and Lord Of The Rings series. This list is just my all time favorites.... so far anyway.
I actually made this list a couple of years ago, but it's still accurate. This list is in order, unlike the movie list from last week. I'm throwing in some honorable mentions afterwards as well.
10. A Wrinkle In Time; Madeleine L'Engle
The first book I ever willingly read in school.  It still stands up today and I still enjoy it very much.

9. The Fellowship of the Ring; J.R.R. Tolkien
This was the best of the three of the main Trilogy.  It had the best flow to it. I liked it a little better than the Hobbit because it was a little more adult. I like it better than the Silmarillion because it's more detailed. I always look forward to rereading this one.



8. Journey to the Center of the Earth; Jules VerneThis is an old favorite. A fantastic and impossible adventure, but it's written in such a way that you want to and even can for a moment believe it. Great, great story telling.

7. Mere Christianity; C.S. Lewis
So is this one.  The only non fiction to make my top 10 list.  It's that powerful and impactful.  I actually need to reread this one again for the first time.


6. Watership Down; Richard Adams
This one has actually moved up on the list from number 8.  It is beautiful from beginning to end; I don't even have the words to describe how much sense it makes and how much it moves me every time I read it.  It's also on my very short list of approved book to film adaptations.  It's very nearly perfect.

5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban; J.K. Rowling
This is the first one of the series that I read, so it imprinted on me. It introduced my favorite character, Lupin.  And it was the first of the series to begin tying all of the underlying story together. Brilliant.

4. The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, book 1) C.S. Lewis
The Narnia books just got better as they went along.  This one was written last along with The Final Battle and it's a prequel to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. It's how Narnia came to be and how the travels between the worlds started.  It's so wonderful.

3. The Count of Monte Cristo; Alexander Dumas
I have a thing for tales of revenge and this one is amazing.  I have to reread this one a lot too.  It always gets me.  Retold in the movie The Shawshank Redemption, it's timeless and relevant in every generation.

2. Treasure Island; Robert Lewis Stevenson
I don't know if this one really belongs so high up on the list, but on the other hand it does because it's responsible for shaping me into a reader.  It's the book that hooked me on reading and although it doesn't have as powerful an effect on me anymore, it's still got my heart.

1. Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy series, book 1) C.S. Lewis
I had to show both covers of this.  The first cover is the one I had that I wore out. The second is the replacement I bought with the other two of the series.  This is still the best book ever written. So much love.

Honorable Mentions, in no particular order.

Timeline; Michael Crichton
I could actually throw a lot of Crichton into this mix, but this was one of the very best he ever wrote.  Very even and exciting.  I reread this one more than the others.

Around the World in 80 Days; Jules Verne
More Verne.  This one is great too.  I love the old adventures, especially when they weren't too grim like War Of The Worlds.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; J.K. Rowling.
Take away the primary story of Harry and Voldemort and this is a top notch murder mystery infused with magic.  I have book called Murder By Magic that tries to marry murder mysteries with the magical world, but none of them quite turned out like this.  This is a close second in my favorite of the HP series.











No comments:

Post a Comment