Blog Archive

Monday, July 18, 2016

Star Trek TNG Encounter at Farpoint

Without further ado, I'll begin reviewing every episode of Star Trek TNG.  But I won't do it overwhelmingly.  I tend to ramble on when I start writing out my opinions, so today I thought I'd start with some interesting video to get warmed up.

Beginning with the trailer for the first part of Encoutner At Far Point Part 1:

It's an exciting new beginning to Star Trek.  Still colorful, but brighter.  You get to see that the command color has changed from gold to red.  There's Klingon crew member and an intriguing bad guy.  Lot's of familiar theatrics.  Bigger sets and more extras to give it a more believable atmosphere. And even though the effects budget was considered low at the time, they spent a lot of it to make a good first impression with the pilot episode.  Even as much as I say I cringe when watching the first two seasons, I can't help but be hooked in by this trailer.  There's a lot of promise for a great show in it.

Next a montage of best moments.  I have to agree for the most part.

I was so happy to see Deforest Kelly in the first episode.  His character's name was not mentioned.  I think it was very brave of them not to work in too many guest appearances of people from the old cast.  They were determined to stand on their own. Not like they could've had them all turn up aged like this, but they could've inserted them in small roles as bar tenders as kind of a wink-wink to the audience, but they didn't go in that direction.
I noticed that they never used this particular Enterprise entrance into the scene as with the opening of this episode again and I always thought it was kind of a shame.  It was a unique perspective.

I also found an interesting comparison of Encounter At Farpoint in SD and HD. 

I'm just blown away by how far technology has come even since this show was on the air.  All of it's effects were raising the bar at the time and even when they're put under the HD microscope they stand the test of time.  And the music score alone is a bonus.  I love various music scores from movies and television.

No comments:

Post a Comment