Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Book Review


Dragonlance Adventures: Dragons of Winter Night
Okay, I finished Winter Night and I really loved it. I liked Autumn Twilight and stuck to the positive aspects when talking about it, but I didn't want to step on any toes by saying that I only thought it to be adequate, not special. The layout of the narrative had an inelegant flow and it seemed almost juvenile at times (a slight overuse of humor in inappropriate moments) which is why I assumed these books were targeted for tweenagers. I also had a hard time bonding with any of the characters with the exception of Sturm so even though I enjoyed it I couldn't honestly say I loved it.
Winter Night, however, was amazing! Much more grown up with much more going on. I understand now that Autumn Twilight was just an introduction and that together they make for the kind of slow world building and development that I love and appreciate. The story had better movement and was so much more complex and layered. The old characters were developed in earnest while new and fascinating characters were introduced. I understand the love for Laurana now. Her slow growth and maturation over the these two books is just how I like to see any "leader" character develop. We didn't get to see Goldmoon's development because it had already happened. We got the abbreviated highlights of life's responsibilities being thrust onto her shoulders and by the end of AT she was ready to retire from her life as a leader (nobody to lead anymore) and settle down into a quiet marriage as an ancillary character... as quiet as the life of any adventurer can be I guess, lol. I could really bond with the characters in this book. And, of course, the fate of my favorite character was almost expected just because he was my favorite... irritating, but good for the overall story so I ultimately approve. Guess Raistlin's my favorite now , but with good reason. The new concepts and scenes were creative and unique. The highs and lows were believable and touching. Like all trilogies, the first book ends on a high note and the second book ends on kind of a downer showcasing the realistic pendulum swing of good vs. evil in epic trilogies. I was only moderately looking forward to reading Winter Night after Autumn Twilight but I'm wholeheartedly looking forward to reading Spring Dawning now.

No comments:

Post a Comment