Blog Archive

Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween Entertainment Picks pt. 3

Okay, seven years since the last time I did this. I originally wanted to do this every year when I first did it... like... I don't even remember; the first picks weren't dated. The reason I don't do it every year though is because I don't watch a lot of scary, halloweeny stuff. Just enough to keep me well rounded, I guess. Lol. There's no theme this year or rhyme or reason to my picks. Just good scary and creepy stuff that will make Halloween a little more fun.

Books. Beginning with printed picks as always. I try to keep it to short stories , but a novel usually works its way in.

You Know They've Got A Hell Of A Band, Stephen King
This is a short story by King that I originally saw in his Nightmares And Dreamscapes compilation of shorts. I'd classify it as dark humor. It's taking the Righteous Brother's song about having a hell of a band in rock'n'roll heaven to a twisted level. A couple actually finds Rock'n'Roll Heaven on a road trip. Results are... not what they expected. It's good, creepy, twisted fun.

Never Bet The Devil Your Head, Edgar Allan Poe
Classic Poe. I have to pick a Poe story every time I do this. I would call this dark humor as well, depending on your sense of humor. I found it kind of funny, personally. A boy learns never to bet the Devil his head because apparently the Devil will take this matter quite literally. Always grotesque and disturbing, Poe stories were made for Halloween.

Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs
This past year I read a modern book that is good for Halloween. I didn't find it scary at all; books of the supernatural/horror/thriller genre play to fears I don't have any more as a Christian, but I think some may find it creepy. The vintage photographs inserted throughout add a nice touch of what I think is supposed to be creepy, and there's a nice interview with the author at the end of the book regarding the old photos.
It's a hidden-world story with an X-Men feel only they're not superheros out to save the world... just freaks at war with other freaks with normal people being in danger of becoming collateral damage, but not with an intentional plan as laid out in other hidden-world tales like X-Men or Harry Potter. The author also applies a unique use of time travel so that this story takes place in the modern day and also in war torn Europe of 1940 and future stories can take place in other historical venues, which will add a changing variety to the surroundings.
On the whole it's relatively fast paced... a little lag in the middle and somewhat predictable. Using crass language in descriptive narratives as opposed to dialogue only always gets on my nerves, but it was an enjoyable book and I really liked it which made it easy to overlook the flaws. I'll definitely be looking into the sequels.

Movies. Three classic movies and a bonus, as always. Looks like the three movies do have a theme... they're all from the same year!

Twilight Zone, The Movie (fantasy/horror, 1983)
I don't know why I didn't think of this one years ago. It's always been one of my favorites. Mainly because it keeps horror in the "short story" format which is still the best way to do it in my opinion. The movie takes on four different spooky tales in the spirit of the original series. A couple even have happy endings. My favorite vignette is the one with the old people's home, which shows what a dork I am. But it's great fodder for Halloween night and not overboard with the scary, horror stuff.

The Dead Zone (horror/sci-fi/thriller, 1983)
 Stephen King again in film form. I've outgrown a lot of Stephen King's works because they all seem the same to me anymore, but this movie has always been good. It's a little different than most of his stories. Still scary, still thrilling, but more on a psychological level and not as much in a violent way. A man has an accident and recovers from a long coma with the ability to see the futures of people he touches and he ends up crossing with a corrupt politician that will bring about a devastating nuclear war if he's elected president. I love Christopher Walken. This is one of his best movies that he made before he made the switch to comedies.

Something Wicked This Way Comes. (fantasy/mystery/thriller, 1983)
I'm recommending the movie and not the book? What? In this case yes. The book was impressive, no doubt. But it was also an exercise in English lit, and I think you'd not only have to enjoy the story but enjoy reading in general so as not to get frustrated with the heavy use of metaphor and hyperbole . The movie is fairly true to the book though and it's exciting and fun. Once again, probably scary for younger kids, but not overly graphic either. I always loved it as a kid because the main characters were kids that get into trouble with the haunted carnival that comes to town. And it's set back in olden days, but it's not very clear as to what year... just enough to set the mood. This is a good Halloween movie for sure.

But you still want something a little different? Okay

High Plains Drifter (mystery/western 1973)
This is the most Halloweeny western you'll ever find, I believe. The genius of this movie isn't only in what is shown and said, it's what is left unsaid and unexplained to the audience. Clint Eastwood with a supernatural influence comes to town to take revenge for the death of Marshal Duncan and disappears as mysteriously as he arrived. He's a ghost. Or is he? Very creepy and very intense with outstanding performances by the usual gang of friends (and highly underrated actors, in my opinion) that Eastwood made movies with in his prime. Try it, you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment