Blog Archive

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Halloween Entertainment Picks Pt. 1

If you're like me and don't get many trick-or-treaters out your way, but you still want some Halloweenish entertainment for the night, allow me to make some suggestions.

BOOKS: I prefer my own imagination over movie imagery when it comes to scary stories. It makes the story more personal and I can get more wrapped up in it and it's so much better. At least that's my opinion. Here are my print picks.


Dracula (Bram Stoker) I don't think people really remember just how religious this book is. Yes, religious! God is the hero of the book. God and the faith that the characters are portrayed to have in Him are what saves them all. Bram Stoker created a hellish creature that can only be stopped by faith. I love a lot of the modern vampire tales and flicks, don't get me wrong. But this is a very important aspect that has been lost over the years. The characters in the movies are portrayed as having little, if any, genuine faith in Christ, and they wave crosses around like toys. If an average lost person or even a Christian that doesn't take their faith too seriously were to read the original Dracula it would make them feel uncomfortable and they may even think it's corny. I realize you can't read a whole book in one night, but this way, Halloween can last a little longer!

The Premature Burial (Edgar Allan Poe) I know, you were probably expecting The Black Cat or The Tell-Tale Heart. They're good scary stories, I'll grant you, but this one is a little different from most of Poe's work. The other stories are mostly tragedies ending in death and disaster for the protagonist and usually because he deserves it for whatever reason, but The Premature Burial has a more positive tone. It is creepy and scary and graphic, as is all of Poe's stories, but the ending is very uplifting and has a very solid message regarding how our fears can control us only if we let them.

The Devil And Tom Walker (Washington Irving) And what would Halloween be without a little soul selling? No surprises here. Tom Walker sells his soul and the Devil comes back to collect. From the same twisted mind that brought us Rip Van Winkle.

MOVIES: I had my fling with horror movies when I was a teenager. I had to prove I wasn't a wuss to all my brothers and cousins. But, the fact is, I don't really like to be deliberately scared... (okay, unless it's a written story...) I like a "horror" movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and can even be categorized under "thriller" or "adventure," like Sleepy Hallow or The Mummy. It's hard to get scared at true horror movies anymore, anyway because of my faith. They play to fears that I don't have anymore and anyway, most of them are just vessels to try out the newest special effects and have no real substance. I do appreciate good effects and I always enjoy a plot twist that is actually unexpected. (Not like the template of the monster showing up where you "least expect it.") But, crank up the sequel train and the remake machine, and it all gets old. So, my movie recommendations are unique and family friendly.


Bell, Book, And Candle (1958, color Romantic Comedy.) I bet a lot of people out there who are my age have never heard of it. . . what can I say?. . . I was raised on oldies of all kinds. The beauty of fiction is that you can change the rules whenever you need to. In this movie, witches lose their powers when they fall in love. (Aww... ) I've always wanted to name a cat Pywacket after the gorgeous Siamese cat in this move. Sweet Jimmy Stewart, elegantly beautiful Kim Novak, crazy Jack Lemmon and even a small part for batty old Hermione Gingold as the head of the coven. She could add a special spice to a movie that few other actors could. It's always been one of my favorites. I love that silly slush.

Arsenic And Old Lace (1944 b/w Comedy.) I'm prepared to say that this is the funniest movie ever made! Well, for me it was always a toss up between this one and Bringing Up Baby. It doesn't matter. They both star Cary Grant. In this movie, he's introducing his new bride to his two murderess aunts, an uncle that thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt and a brother who looks like Frankenstein! It even has some genuinely chilling moments. Raymond Massey's make up job may be a bit scary for younger kids, and they may not understand all the humor, but those priceless looks of insanity that Cary Grant could get on his face are hysterical. It takes place on Halloween so it's the perfect Halloween movie. Watch it!

Bedknobs And Broomsticks (1971 color) Children/Family. I know I'm not alone in having seen this one. It's a Disney flick and it's another of my favorites. Angela Lansbury is a witch that's learning witchcraft by correspondence course. She and her professor and her foster kids go around looking for the final spell of her course that makes inanimate objects move themselves. Oh sure, it's only minor charm work for Harry Potter, but it made for a good plot and really nicely done special effects for 1971. It also blends live action and animation together and does a very good job of that too. Love this kid flick!

But you still want something a little stronger? Okay.


The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945 b/w and color Thriller.) I only recommend this movie halfheartedly. It's not so much scary as it is creepy and disturbing. I wouldn't show it to a child under 12. The plot involves more soul selling to the Devil and it really hits the nail on the head about how sin can mar a person's soul just as the picture is marred by the sins of the title character. It's really deep on that level. However, there are no lighthearted or comical moments to offset the tension of the heavy-handed plot and at no point to any of the characters ever seem to portray a hope that rises above the gloomy atmosphere and it ends up being a real downer. I love Hurd Hatfield (who also played Pilate in King of Kings.) He's got one of those wicked, born-to-play-a-bad-guy kind of faces and it's fascinating to see Angela Lansbury when she couldn't have been much older than 20. Also, the use of color only in specific places has a nice effect.

So, have a happy and safe Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment