Blog Archive

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Book Review


The ABC Murders, Agatha Christie

*Kind of a big spoiler warning. I try to avoid them but I couldn't this time. *
I really loved this little mystery. The classics are still the best for mystery. I haven't read a lot of Poirot yet. In fact the only other one I have read was Orient Express in which he was traveling alone. So I didn't realize the similarities it shared with the Sherlock Holmes formula. He had his own "Watson" in the form of Captain Hastings and a relationship with local law enforcement like the the great Holmes. But these Poirot novels are unique and and different enough that they aren't really a rip off of Doyle. This one even takes a friendly jab at the Holmesian style of crime solving. It smirks at the standard clue hunting and takes a more psychological approach.
The perpetrator in this book, as indicated in the title, commits his murders alphabetically, not just by name but by town as well. Obviously. And a really creepy guy with a name to match the crimes is likely responsible. So obvious. Too obvious. And I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I'm usually better at solving the mystery than that.  In fact, a remark made by Hastings at a pivotal part of the story that touched off Poirot's final deduction was my first thought as well, so my instincts were correct. But then it took a twist I never suspected. I think now that I should have expected it considering the unconventional ending of Orient Express. Being longer than most Holmes mysteries the pace can be slower and the misdirection can come from every character. Not everything Poirot notes is necessarily significant. It's a good trick.
And I'll keep it in mind because I do believe I'm hooked on the Poirot specific novels. I'll be checking more out and if anyone who has read more of them has any suggestions, I can't wait to hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment