Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Book Review


The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster
One of these days I should compile a list of required reading for children. This would be right up there at the top of the list.
It is, in fact, a kid's book written in 1961. But like many classic children's literature, it's so much more. Often compared with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, I think it's actually better. It's much more clever and not a disturbing downer like Alice was. Then I learned it was written by the same guy that wrote one of my all time favorite stories from my childhood as animated by Looney Tunes - The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics and it all made sense. Oh, my heart! That explains why I found myself really enjoying it. The lessons aren't just for kids and the plot is surprisingly relevant to today. Especially to today, if you find yourself searching for Rhyme and Reason. If you've not read it since you were a child you should reread it. If you've not read it at all, I recommend it for adults as well as children. The wisdom is timeless. I can only hope it's not either too smart for modern kids or that modern kids think they're too smart for it. Adults as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment