Blog Archive

Friday, March 22, 2019

My favorite Star Trek series themes

I thought I'd rank my favorite Star Trek themes today. Star Trek has a lot of different opening credits to choose from unlike other series and movie franchises. Neither a good or a bad thing. But a great conversation piece. Ranked from least favorite to favorite.


6. Star Trek: Discovery.
I haven't watched this one and I probably won't since it lives in the land of streaming. And I'm irritated by the changing of the Klingon makeup. It didn't seem necessary, but I have no opinion of the show either way. I know don't care for the theme and opening credits. A little too plain. They gave the nod to TOS with the trademark introduction that started it all, but after that it sounded a little like a tech commercial and then slipped into a rather sad melody. I've never heard sad Star Trek before. They could've done better.



5. Star Trek: Enterprise
This should technically be in last place. If I hadn't listened to Discovery's music I would've placed it last because it has words. Shows like this should never have words in their themes... it's breaking an unspoken rule of some kind. That being said, this is a nice Rod Stewart song that I like a lot and it's certainly uplifting especially with the use of all the historical footage to pay homage to the first explorers and space pioneers. And the fact that it gives off that good vibe that puts it above Discovery.
 


4. Star Trek: Voyager
It's my least favorite series and I know I rip on it a lot, but the theme missing the top 3 spots doesn't have anything to do with that. I've watched a lot of it in effort to give it a chance to grow on me so I've heard the opening credits many times. What I noticed about them is how long it took for the song to burn into my memory. It's a little complicated in a way; almost too many notes; a certain lack of simplicity.  You could tell it was trying to keep up the tradition of a dynamite opening theme for the next Star Trek incarnation, but I think it was just a little on the "overdone" side.



3. Star Trek: The Original Series
Well it doesn't get much more simple than this. And I wouldn't exactly call it dynamic. But it's the first of the franchise and has the most recognition cred. It's a short, catchy tune... opening credits didn't last for almost two minutes back then. I don't actually care for the vocals and the font colors changed in different seasons. But since most of us (my age and older) were probably exposed to this first show first, whether in real time or reruns, it takes you back to your childhood and makes you feel like a kid again, wide-eyed and enchanted with the show's concept. Space; the final frontier.



2. Star Trek: The Next Generation
Originally the theme music for the first Star Trek movie. At first it's a little insulting when I think of the "rip-off" nature of the inaugural season of this show. The theme was as much a lifeless copy as everything else about it. But, you can't deny that it's good music composition that hits hard and stays with you. And as the series grew up and turned into one of the two best series, the theme also grows on you and becomes more meaningful as you can associated it exclusively with this cast and these stories that helped to cement the Star Trek legacy for the next 30 years. This is a wonderful Star Trek theme that represents the Star Trek franchise as equally as the TOS theme.



1. Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
But this is the best Star Trek them and not just because it, along with TNG, is my favorite series. This theme is the perfect mix of simplicity, emotional swells, and catchiness. I'm sure it's what they were trying to duplicate with Voyager, but I can't be too hard on them. It's hard to strike gold twice. The DS9 theme is just beautiful in a way the other themes aren't. Especially in the early seasons with the more solitary trumpet at the beginning leaving chills down your back.
No, I'm not biased... I don't know where you get that idea...
Fake news... *smirk*.
But seriously, DS9 wins for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment