Blog Archive

Monday, January 28, 2019

Geek Eats

Looking over recipes for fictional foods and enjoying some of them.

Starting with Harry Potter Butterbeer. Many of the recipes are alcoholic, but this one is just a very sweet and simple soda shake. I don't know if I'd like it because I'm not a fan of butterscotch or cream soda, but I imagine this is what Butterbeer would taste like if it was real.

Next, Lembas Waybread from LOTR. There are varying recipes on this one but this one is visually appealing and not too complicated to make. I could see trying this out.

I've never seen Soylent Green but it's a Sci-Fi cult classic and somehow everyone knows that Soylent Green is made of people. Apparently there is a protein mix called Soylent that people use to make energy drinks and these two guys make cookies out of it to resemble the Soylent Green wafers that Charelton Heston discovers in the movie. Not for people who need exact measurements when they cook.

I don't watch Game of Thrones, nor have I read the books. Most of the food I've seen from this fandom seems like pretty straight up food that you'd find anywhere... even things like kidney or pidgeon pie, while not an American thing, are common in foreign nations or from medieval cookbooks.  But I'd never heard of Milk of the Poppy and though it seemed pretty unique so that's why I've included it. They make a pretty standard lemon cake in this video first which looks pretty good as well.

From The Hunger Games, in the first book, I chose the Groosling Soup. I picked it because a groosling isn't a real thing and it was cooked creatively in the wild in the book. Unfortunately, there's no video on this. The only videos that cover food from The Hunger Games are how to make some fairly standard dishes. But I did find a link to someone who tried to make the groosling soup as it was done in the book
Groosling Soup Recipe





Of course I can't leave out Star Wars and Star Trek. The problem is that both Star Wars and Star Trek fans are some of the most annoying people to share homemade videos .... if you think the Soylent Green guys and the Game of Thrones people were silly, you'd be embarrassed to see the sort of crazies born of two of the greatest fandoms ever. Also, their official recipes are harder to come by so that they can sell more merch related to cooking.
I wanted the Blue Milk from Star Wars. There are many variations on it. A lot of people were using exotic plants for food coloring, but I liked the simplicity of this milk. It's essentially a blueberry shake. They also give a recipe for granola to make Chewie cookies. And even though it's short it's Star Wars inspired eats, so it's all good.

Sadly the best I could do with Star Trek was this news clip interviewing Ethan Phillips in character as Neelix from Voyager displaying Gagh and Klingon Bloodwine.  Lots of lag time before they get to the food discussed. The recipe for Gagh isn't made clear, but the bloodwine is and it looks very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment