Blog Archive

Thursday, February 15, 2018

My Top 10 Favorite Musicals

This will be  a top 10 list, but I could go on for 15 or 20. The honorable mentions are more than just what's pictured above and all of them could've easily been on the list for one reason or another. But I narrowed it down to the 10 that I love most of all. And these are in order from 10 to 1... a lesser to a most favorite. I can't often do that since I have a hard time deciding, but I also know which ones I watch over and over the most in this case.

Annie, 1982. I grew up "rags" so naturally rags to riches appeals, but it's not just the notion of finding sudden wealth. I identified with Annie's maturity for her age. I'd lost a parent when I was young. My upbringing wasn't as awful as hers, but there were times when it resembled the orphanage. I've always been the different one in the crowd and there's a lesson in this about taking advantage of your situation to advance yourself; using your natural charm and talents without compromising yourself. Of course, I say this all as an adult. It's not that deep when you're watching it as a kid, but when a movie is timeless you get more out of it the more you watch it over the years.

Guys And Dolls, 1955. This musical, like most classic movies presents the man changing his ways for the love of the woman. It's not the only one of its kind in my list and it's what I was referring t last week when I said that perhaps my romantic sensibilities are a little screwed up. I only say that because people scoff at the notion of a woman taking a man on as a challenge... as someone to fix or change. And rightfully so. It's a bad idea. But what's going on in these old movies, this one in particular, isn't the women changing the men, but love changing the men. The women in this movie stay true to themselves and the men love them enough to change. It proves the point that women, in a civilized society, have always had the real power in spite of how feminism sees it and continues to degrade the culture. But I was also drawn to the spiritual aspect of this one because I've been churched all my life. I've seen modern stage versions of this song being done in a mocking way, but this movie version is an accurate representation of somebody changing because of love too. (I actually like this one better than Gigi, but I'm just going to leave it here in the list cuz I'm too lazy to change it.)

Gigi, 1958. Gigi! ah, Gigi! I can't deny this one appeals to my own attraction to older men. And it's another instance of a guy changing for the love of a girl. But is it just her he's changing for or the innocence that he'd loved about her from the start? They're not all about teaching good lessons though. The plotting of her aunts - grooming her to be a kept woman for a living - is pretty awful on their part. Still, it's an awkward shift from childhood to womanhood that most girls can identify with. I didn't see this one til I was an adult, so it's only in hindsight that I would think that it could have a negative effect on a young girl. But no more negative than any of the others.

No more negative than Grease, 1978. Lets see, the "describe a film plot badly" went something like, 'A girl sacrifices all her standards to win back a greased up horny boy.' And it's true. But I defended it by saying that Danny was trying to change for her as well, bucking peer pressure while she was caving to it. And the argument continued, but on the whole I'd say it's a more accurate look at relationships when compared to the older ones. Some of the detractors were saying that people only like it for the music and they may have a point there. I loved it for years. Long before I understood the innuendo or cared about the story. But that makes it a great musical because you can grow with it and find different meaningful aspects from the different musical numbers. I even grew to appreciate the music more because there's a variety of themes played out. From duets to a diner fantasy to a dance off, all very different and not all of them appealed to me as a kid, but they all do now. It's much more complex than people give it credit for and it really is a shame that people would be taught to hate a nice movie like this all for some sense of superiority complex.

White Christmas, 1954. it's a Christmas movie, but it's not. Christmas is more of a backdrop. What it definitely is, is an improvement on Holiday Inn where the song White Christmas was first featured. That one centered around a love triangle that didn't have enough meat  to it to fill an entire movie, so it was complemented with the interesting concept and wonderful music of a hotel that's only opened on the holidays. Wonderful, but uneven for a plot. This one centers on the games men and women play when falling for each other. Juvenile games perhaps... but so much fun with so many great songs and dance numbers. Lots of stereotyping of being in the entertainment business which I can identify with and appreciate. Lots of heart as well as they all work to save the ski resort of an old mentor while falling in love and learning a very important lesson about the downfalls of gossip and the games that were played. I love this movie so much and I try to watch it every year.

Scrooge, 1970. Okay, this one is a Christmas movie. Obviously. But it's okay for a specifically themed musical to be a favorite too. I did a blog back in December about A Christmas Carol and all of its many incarnations over the years. So it's important to understand that a lot of license is taken with the story because it's such a short novel. This is the license I like the best. Most of the songs aren't as catchy, but they are to me since I loved it so much. And it appeals to my twisted sense of humor in ways that the others didn't because they were so serious about the material. It's one of the most moving versions of Scrooge's redemption that I've seen. I watch this every year too.

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, 1971. A kid's movie. I was trying to stay away from kid's movies specifically when thinking up this list, but as Lewis said, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." This movie is another one that gets deeper every time you see it and the lessons it teaches aren't limited to the behavior of children. It literally pains me that people who don't enjoy musicals will never experience this wonderful story. I know it deviates from the book, but in this case it's acceptable. The acting is truly remarkable considering that the main characters are children... no lemons in the group. The imaginative sets never get old. The songs are catchy and the repeated choruses at the Chocolate Factory keep everyone engaged. With the slightest touch of dark humor sprinkled in, it's one of the best movies ever made. And I always totally had a thing for Gene Wilder.

The King And I, 1956. I understand and agree with the talk of culture rot and the over-sexualization of our society and especially teenagers. However, it must be acknowledged that even if you grow up leading a relatively sheltered life, you can't avoid the awkward physical changes that go hand in hand with falling in love. I could blame the innuendo of the rock songs I listened to growing up for making me think naughty thoughts. But this movie had just as much to do with my sexual awakening as any rock song.  What could be sexier than the way Yule Brenner moves in on Deborah Kerr with his hand out? This is also a complex movie because the different romances are complicated (not even entirely certain in the case of the king and Anna) and they're not written with simple, happy endings. I'm surprised more people don't complain about it citing colonialism and cultural diffusion perpetrated by the white man. Maybe they do and I just don't know it. I just love the music and the fashions and tragic kind of love stories present within. It was hard to place this because my top three are almost at a tie.

The Music Man, 1962. I'm head over heels in love with this one. The swindler guy is finally brought down by his love for the girl who wouldn't fall for his usual lines (sigh!) I'm a band geek and I love the desire for a band in the town... even if it's just a boys band. And the music is the best in this one. The barbershop quartet is amazing as is the presentation of all the songs in a fantasy style much of the time that doesn't take itself too seriously and makes a person's willing suspension of belief very comfortable. I'm so happy to be swept away by this movie and happy to fall for the main character who is nothing but a con artist. And it has a textbook happy ending that makes you want to cheer for him as his convoluted scheming somehow works out for the best. Yes, this one is just a giant hit of dopamine for musical fans. I can't imagine someone who watches musicals not loving this one.

My Fair Lady, 1964. Let see... a good way to describe this movie plot badly would be to say a woman willingly throws in with a bully to advance her station in life and ends up staying under his thumb instead of advancing. But it's another demonstration of real girl power before the modern feminist movement turned women into victims again. This is my favorite musical of all time and the main guy character can't even sing. A lot of people compare this to Gigi, saying that it's essentially the same movie, but it's not. The underlying theme of change is there, but after that it's totally different. Gigi was being taught how to be a rich man's mistress in order to live financially well off. Eliza was trying to learn how to support herself by submitting to a self professed expert in societal etiquette. And unlike Gigi where Gaston definitely falls in love with her, this movie is open ended. It's obvious to the audience that Henry Higgens is in love with Eliza, but he never declares it and seems to continue in denial of it up to the end. Does he eventually marry her, or do they continue their cat and mouse game until she's snatched up by another Freddy type later down the road? Who knows? But it's clear that even though she goes back to him, she has the power over her life that she'd originally sought at the end. And she didn't get it by demanding respect or special considerations, but by suffering herself to be roughly handled by her teacher that didn't think highly of her in the beginning. Not many would consider that a worthy sacrifice to obtain success and maybe that's why everyone's skin has thinned over the years and become more accepting of defeat. This makes it better than Gigi and one of the most psychologically fun movies of all time.


No comments:

Post a Comment