Blog Archive

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Book Review


Library of Souls; Ransom Riggs
Last in the trilogy of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I really liked this little series. I was a little disappointed that there weren't as many photographs in this book; I do enjoy looking at them! But there's a couple of reasons for fewer pictures, I think. First, the story had become strong enough to stand on its own and second because the supernatural elements were fully developed in order to draw the story to a close. Vintage photographs can't accommodate that sort of thing no matter how "creepy" they look. But this sequel is also the most intense of the set with many more plot twists to match and raise the bombshell at the end of the second book, so pictures aren't really needed to enhance the story. Since it's only been a few months since I read the second book, I decided not to reread it as a refresher and I was surprised by a few things that might have otherwise been predictable, but overall I have very few complaints. It stayed fresh with steady world building, slowly introducing new places and obstacles over the course of the three books. The continuity and pacing were stable and there wasn't a sense of having to short change anything or any character in order to close the loop on the story (pun intended; but it's only a pun you'd get if you read the books.) The teen romance subplot wasn't overwhelming and silly either. Altogether it reaffirmed my belief in the creative potential of YA series. (I was very put off by the Ember series.) But, I think I may just finish out the sequels to the Hunger Games now.

No comments:

Post a Comment